The Marine environment presents unique challenges for composites. Seawater effect on material properties, hydrostatic crush pressure below the water, UV and waves above, and cavitation are just a few. Composites provide some unique advantages for Marine structures with established use in marine craft such as sailing and motorboats, tidal turbine blades, in offshore applications, marine renewable propulsion, decks, hulls and propellers.
Support for Maritime
Design & prototyping
- Structural engineering using a combination of hand calculations, in-house developed tools, and finite element analysis with particular expertise in fatigue analysis
- Comprehensive database of dry and saturated material properties, with infusion and prepreg matrices, glass and carbon fibre forms for greater confidence in safety margins, optimisation of design and collaboration with certification bodies.
- Experience developing test matrices for material characterisation
- Experience working with certification bodies in all phases of development including design and production
- Patents pertaining to tidal turbine blade design and additional know-how in composite:metal attachment systems.
- In-house manufacture of cost-effective tooling & fixtures
- Manufacturing expertise with specialism in challenging structures e.g large single shot infusions, RTM, or very thick laminates.